8 Reasons to Visit SintraOctober 13, 2017
I was vacationing in Lisbon for a few days and it had been recommended that I visit Sintra, a town located just 30 minutes away by car. At first I hesitated because there was already so much to see and do in the capitol (in so little time) but I decided to say “screw it” and hopped in a taxi. I was so happy I did because the adventure was beyond worth it. It is by far one of the most magical places I’ve been and I would recommend it to anyone traveling to Portugal.
Reasons to Visit Sintra
- It’s an easy day trip from Lisbon. You can get there in half an hour by car or take the train that runs every 15 minutes for just 4 euros round trip.
- Palacio da Pena. This is every castle lover’s dream. It’s the showstopper of Sintra. The photos speak for themselves.
- Castelo dos Mouros. The old Moorish Castle is a gigantic fortress perched at the top of Sintra. Climb the walls to get unparalleled views of Portugal stretching all the way out to the sparkling sea.
- The forests look like something out of a fairytale. When I visited, the weather was extremely foggy, but that made it all the more magical.
- Quinta da Regaleira. This UNESCO World Heritage site spans for ages and is one of the most beautiful grounds across Portugal to get lost exploring.
- The village is so picturesque. The red rooftops, pastel coloured buildings, it is everything you would imagine a Portuguese village to be.
- The Masonic Initiation Well is just… wow.
- The history and beauty is truly remarkable and it will be a day trip you will never, ever forget!